We’re looking for a professional Company Secretary & General Counsel with relevant experience who wants to join our 2,000+ team of staff and volunteers to make a difference on a permanent basis, working either full-time or part-time, based in Fitzroy combined with hybrid options to work from home.
The Brotherhood of St. Laurence (BSL) has a clear vision – an Australia free of poverty.
For over 90 years, we have worked with policy makers and the community for systemic change that will prevent and alleviate poverty in Australia.
We are passionate about the work we do.
We strive to create change that lasts for a more compassionate and just society - a society in which we can all fully participate in social, civic and economic life with the dignity and respect we all deserve.
The Company Secretary & General Counsel fulfills the role of trusted advisor to the Executive Director and the Board Chairperson, Board Members, Board Committees and Executive Team Members. The role manages the Company Secretariat function and ensures governance requirements are met.
- Managing processes to support the effective functioning of the Board and Board Committees
- Ensuring that the legal affairs of the organisation are properly and professionally managed to deliver high quality outcomes
- Providing advice on governance matters, reflecting a deep understanding of the organisation, and ensuring all governance requirements are met satisfactorily
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Passion for supporting the mission of BSL, and delivering excellence in your role, are just the start.
To be considered for the role and be successful in it, we’re looking for someone who has the following key skills and experiences:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications (LLB or higher)
- Qualifications in governance and membership with the Governance Institute of Australia
- A minimum of five years of experience as a company secretary
- Minimum of 10 years of experience as a senior legal adviser, either in a corporate environment or in a major legal services firm
- Highest standards of personal and professional integrity and ethics
- High level of maturity, professionalism, and expertise
- Strong strategic skills
- Ability to serve as a company secretary under the necessary ACNC requirements
- Demonstrated experience in Board support, organising meetings, including preparation and distribution of papers
- Tenacity, resilience, a high level of discretion and finely honed diplomatic skills
- Extensive salary packaging options to reduce amount of tax you pay
- Career development opportunities
- Leave loading of 17.5%
- Flexible working arrangements
- Employee Assistance Program
BSL employees enjoy a range of flexible work options and other attractive benefits. Recognising that there is no ‘one size fits all’ pattern of work–life balance, the organisation endeavours to provide options to suit the needs of all staff.
If this looks like a role that’s right for you, APPLY NOW or contact Philippa Allen, Acting Company Secretary, on 0491 698 616 for a confidential discussion.
To view the Position Description to address the Key Selection Criteria, please click here.
Applications close: Sunday, 10 July 2022, 11.55pm
The Brotherhood of St Laurence adheres to Government mandates in relation to COVID-19.
We are an EEO and understand the importance of diversity and inclusion. We recognise that everyone has the right to an equitable, safe and productive environment and to be treated with dignity and respect. We welcome applications from all people regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, cultural background, disability or sexual orientation. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
Successful applicants will be subject to pre-employment checks including criminal history and working with children. Recruitment decisions are based on the key inherent needs and requirements of each role, and candidates are selected based on their unique strengths and characteristics. Applicants must have proof of working rights in Australia.